This is a really really simple recipe that is great for a dinner party, or made on a Sunday night so you can have the leftover chicken throughout the rest of the week.
1. Roasting chicken with giblets removed - ideally buy organic or free range chicken
2. Kosher salt
3. Black pepper
4. Olive oil
I like to roast root vegetables at the same time as my chicken is roasting so choose your favourite roasting veggies for that: sweet potatoes, onions, carrots, turnips, leeks, mushrooms..
- Remove your chicken from the oven 30 minutes before cooking, to bring the meat to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 450F
- Pat dry your chicken with a paper towel - on the outside AND inside
- Sprinkle the inside of the chicken with salt and pepper
- Truss your chicken (helps to keep moisture and prevents burning). Use this video for a tutorial if you are not sure how to do this.
- Season the outside of your chicken with a generous amount of salt, and pepper to taste.
- Line the roasting pan with your root vegetables, add 2-3 cloves of garlic, rosemary and/or thyme and coat the vegetables with oil and salt and pepper.
- Add your chicken to the middle of the roasting pan
- Roast for 60-90 minutes (approx 20 minutes per pound). Using a meat thermometer, the internal temperature of the chicken should be 165F (insert the thermometer right between the breast and the thigh)
- Remove from the oven and let sit for 15 minutes, to let all the juices absorb.
- Carve and enjoy!